It is important to seek legal advice as soon as possible for the following reasons:
- Memories fade with time. You should speak with a lawyer while you still remember all the details of what happened.
- Physical evidence can disappear.
- You don’t know what you don’t know.
- Having a criminal defence expert on your side is important.
- If you think you may have done something illegal, getting legal advice before charges are laid can save you money and may even save you from ever being charged.
Calling a lawyer today will benefit your case
Your lawyer will interview you and any other witnesses right away, while memories are still fresh.
Witness statements will be taken to preserve evidence. You never know when you or another witness will forget a vital detail, maybe even the detail that would have proven your innocence.
Your lawyer will also tell you if there is any physical evidence that needs to be preserved and how to go about collecting physical evidence before it disappears.
Criminal laws and procedures are complex.
You don’t want to go through this process alone and luckily you don’t have to. Your criminal defence lawyer is an expert on criminal laws and procedures and will make sure that you don’t overlook anything that may be key to your defence.