Legal Aid is an initiative of the Ministry of Justice to fund either in whole or in part the cost of lawyers in criminal cases:
- Anyone can make an application for criminal legal aid. The application will be determined taking into account factors including the seriousness of the charges; your income; your partner’s income; and any assets you own.
- If you are granted legal aid you may be required to reimburse the Ministry of Justice for your legal fees, either in whole or in part.
- Shane Tait holds full approval to provide legal aid services for all criminal matters.
- You are allowed to choose your own lawyer for legal aid matters where the maximum penalty faced is more than 10 years imprisonment.
- You can also choose your lawyer for matters before the New Zealand Parole Board.
- For more information about legal aid you can visit the Ministry of Justice website.