How does hiring a Criminal Lawyer help?
Your lawyer will get your side of the story and provide you with some basic advice and information. However, without obtaining your police file, their initial advice may be limited.
If you decide to hire a lawyer after your initial consultation, your lawyer will obtain your police file and analyze it for the following:
- Is your file complete? Is there something missing?
- Were the proper charges laid?
- Are the charges against you unusually harsh in the circumstances?
- Who are the witnesses against you? Are they reliable?
- Did the police officers involved make any mistakes?
- Is any of the evidence against you inadmissible in court?
- What evidence against you is admissible?
You may be surprised to learn of all the ways in which a lawyer can help you. Once your lawyer has performed a detailed analysis of your case, including obtaining facts and researching the relevant laws, your lawyer will present you with the options available to you.